Thursday, July 4, 2013

Hair Ties

Perfect Hair Ties



Have you seen those hair ties around at the stores that look like pieces of elastic people just knotted? Well they have been very popular and all over the place lately. Oh, and they are selling for way more than they should be!

They are actually the best hair ties around because they don't leave a line in your hair or pull hairs out or hold the hair too tight. I have a few of them but I was lucky to get mine very cheap. 

I realized though these hair ties are just elastic and I knew I could just make them myself. The elastic you want to buy is called fold over elastic. The picture of the package on the left is some I bought from Michaels. I would say Michaels is the best place to buy it but they do only have a few colors. And you have to find it in the beading section, not the sewing section. If you are looking for certain colors etsy is the next best place to buy this. Most stores sell the elastic by the yard and it's pretty inexpensive, just shop around before you buy. 

Since I already had some hair ties I measured the length I from the old ones to make the new ones. I like to have my hair ties handy around my wrist so you can measure your own wrist too and cut to that length. Really there's no wrong way to do this. Just remember to leave a little extra to make the knot. 

Once your elastic is cut just make a regular knot in it and you are done! Some people may choose to burn the ends but I didn't and they haven't frayed or anything. 

You can also make headbands the same way, just measure your head! 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment