Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cali String Art

California

Materials: 
Wood board 
Small nails 
Hammer
Embroidery thread 

This is one of my favorite pieces. String Art was popular in the 70s but I brought it back! 

This was a pretty simple project but pretty time consuming. I bought just a rectangular wood board at Michaels and the smallest shortest nails I could find at Home Depot. 

Since I can't draw I printed out an outline of California that fit perfectly on the wood. I then made little dots 1cm apart all around the paper. Then where ever there was a dot I hammered in a nail. That's what took the longest time.

When all the nails were in the shape of Cali you can just easily rip off the template. I first wanted to do the heart where Los Angeles would be on the map but it was too close to the edge and it looked much nicer in the middle.

When I started to weave the string I only used half the thickness of the embroidery thread. I chose a spot and made a little knot then I just kept going back and forth from the heart to the Cali part. When I reached the end I just made another little knot and that was that!

When finished it really looks like a nice one of a kind project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment